[protege-discussion] Protege db schema conversion

Todd Detwiler det at u.washington.edu
Wed Nov 28 15:17:56 PST 2012

Through the life of Protege as a tool, the database schema has undergone
a few changes. As far as I know, the best approach for upconverting the
schema of a database ontology has always been to first export it to
clips (in an older Protege version) and then open that clips file in a
newer Protege version and then save it out to a db. This has worked for
us reasonably well in the past (we have an ontology for which the
developers still use an old Protege version). But lately this isn't
working well any more. I can still successfully write out our ontology
to clips files. Newer versions of Protege (i.e. 3.4.7, 3.4.8, and
3.5beta) can open the clips file and things look OK. But when I try and
save it out to a db, things go wrong. The resultant db, in the Protege
UI, looks like all of our classes are untyped (nothing in the right hand
pane). Also, lots of leaf classes appear to be missing in the tree. Now,
if I query the database, these classes exist and have types. Further, if
I open the new database ontology in Protege 3.4beta, it looks fine. What
changes have occurred in the database backend, since 3.4beta, that could
be causing this?
Thanks,
Todd

--