[protege-discussion] Performance problems opening ontology in multi-user mode with ChAO

Ulf Licht Ulf.Licht at esprit.com
Thu Oct 4 08:42:43 PDT 2012

Hello list,

we recently started to use the Change and Annotation Ontology (ChAO) with
our Protege multi-user installation. It worked fine for a while but now we
see serious performance degradation. The ChAO is persisted in an Oracle
database and the table current contains about 195.000 entries after using
it for a few weeks. Currently opening a project with an attached ChAO is
impacted the most (up to 70 minutes). The client log file indicates that
opening the ChAO for the project takes the longest time. We did some
further analysis and found that a server job called
"GetSortedTopLevelChangesJob", which is started by the Changes Tab of an
Protege client, issues many individual prepared database statements, which
take a lot of time to complete. We created additional indexes to mitigate
the problem and brought the time for opening a project to about 20
minutes, which is still not acceptable.

Did anyone experience similar performance problems while using the ChAO
and has any idea how to improve it? Archiving the ChAO every few weeks is
not an option since we would have to search for changes over many archived
ChAOs. An archive interval of once a year would be acceptable. How do
others handle archiving of ChAO information?

Best regards,
Ulf

Esprit Europe GmbH
Esprit-Allee
40882 Ratingen

P.O. Box:
Esprit Europe GmbH
40842 Ratingen

t +49 2102 123-0
f +49 2102 123-45100
i www.esprit.com

Amtsgericht Düsseldorf,
HRB 28967, VAT-ID: DE 162905814
Geschäftsführer: W.T.C. van der Vis, Ernst-Peter Vogel, Jürgen Haas,
Julia Merkel

Confidential Notice: The information in this document is confidential. It is intended only for the use of the named recipient. Internet communications are not secure and therefore our Company does not accept legal responsibility for the contents of this message. If you are not the intended recipient  please notify us immediately and then delete this document.

Please consider your environmental responsibility before printing this e-mail