[protege-discussion] Performance problems opening ontology in multi-user mode with ChAO

Tania Tudorache tudorache at stanford.edu
Thu Oct 4 10:40:45 PDT 2012

Hi Ulf,

The times you are reporting are indeed bad, because your ChAO is still
fairly small. We use ChAO in production since 2009 and keep all the
changes. We have over 10 millions rows in the ChAO db. The problem in
your case is the Changes tab (see below).

What happens is that some things in ChAO get cached at the
initialization of a client (e.g. sorted changes if you have ChangesTab
activated, and annotation counts), and these are the operations that
take such a long time.

Here are some things that we do occasionally:

1. Delete all subchanges (they increase the size of ChAO 3 to 10 times,
depending on the type of changes you are making). You would still have
the top level changes that make sense to the user. We do this when we
have new releases of the software, or when we need to take the server
down, because it is done with a mysql script and he server should not be
running. The script is in our SVN, in case you would like to try it:
http://smi-protege.stanford.edu/svn/change-management/trunk/etc/delete_all_subchanges_with_inner_joins_v2.sql?view=markup

This script will create a new table (new_youroldtablename) that has all
the subchanges removed. Usually, I drop the old ChAO table, and rename
the new one with the old name. The indexes are however not renamed, so I
use this script to rename the indexes:
http://smi-protege.stanford.edu/svn/change-management/trunk/etc/fix_indexes_icat.txt?view=markup

(you would need to change the names in this script to match your
configuration)

2. If you have a large number of annotations, you can disable the
precaching of annotation counts (the annotation count is shown in the
class tree). You can add a line in your client protege.properties:

collab.precache.notes.count=false

What version of Protege are you using? How large is your ontology?

In any case, a quick fix would be to disable the ChangesTab in the
configuration of the clients. Then the GetSortedTopLevelChangesJob would
not be called. You would still see the list of changes of the selected
class in the collaboration panel in the Changes tab. If you need to make
searches in the changes history, I suggest using the Search tab in the
collaboration panel.

Let me know how it goes!

Tania