[protege-discussion] access ontology using protegeserver

Tania Tudorache tudorache at stanford.edu
Thu Oct 4 10:48:16 PDT 2012

Hi Dinu,

The recommended way of running the client-server is using a database
project. So, yes, ther server does run with database projects.

We have extensive documentation on the client-server and how to add your
own project on the wiki:
http://protegewiki.stanford.edu/wiki/Protege_Client-Server_Tutorial

Here it is described how to add your own project:
http://protegewiki.stanford.edu/wiki/Protege_Client_Server_Tutorial_Configuration

A database project will have a pprj file. You add the path of the
database pprj file in the location field of your Project instance in the
metaproject. The link above explains it all.

If you have an OWL file and need to convert it to a database project:
Open the OWL file in Protege, go to File -> Convert project to format...
-> and select OWL/RDF database.

Here is also a step-by-step guide for the OWL database conversion:
http://protegewiki.stanford.edu/wiki/Working_with_the_Database_Backend_in_OWL#Converting_a_Project_to_a_Database_Project

Cheers,
Tania