[protege-discussion] Referring to classes outside an ontology

Joachim Baran joachim.baran at gmail.com
Tue Oct 16 16:39:27 PDT 2012

Hello,

  I would just like to hear some feedback whether my approach of integrating classes outside of my own ontology is correct.

  I added the following snippet to my ontology, where I basically want to express that the range of my "region" object property is an instance of the "Region" class from the FALDO ontology.

    <owl:ObjectProperty rdf:about="http://www.sequenceontology.org/gff3#GFF3_0021">
        <rdfs:label>region</rdfs:label>
        <rdfs:domain rdf:resource="http://www.sequenceontology.org/gff3#GFF3_0002"/>
        <rdfs:range rdf:resource="&faldo;Region"/>
    </owl:ObjectProperty>

  When I load the ontology in Protege 4.1, I see that "Region" has been added to the class list, but it is shown in a normal type rather than bold faced.

  Is this the right approach to link out to other ontologies and is it expected that the other class appears among my defined classes?

Thanks,
Joachim