[protege-discussion] Property restrictions

Matthew Horridge matthew.horridge at cs.man.ac.uk
Tue Oct 16 22:01:55 PDT 2012

>  I try to restrict some object/datatype properties to occur only a certain number of times per feature. So, I added to my "Feature" superclass the restriction "strand exactly 1 Strand". However, when I tried to test this restriction by creating an individual of "Feature" that has more than two "strand" object properties, I still get no inconsistency reported.
>
>  Is this a limitation of the reasoner (I am using HermiT 1.3.6)?

No.

There's a couple of things.  Although you say there can be at most one stand property to an individual that is a Strand this doesn't mean that it isn't possible to have another stand property to something that isn't an instance of Strand.  However, if both of the individuals are indeed instances to Strands then if there isn't anything that forces them to be distinct individuals (either explicitly or implicitly) then they will be interpreted to be the same object since there can be at most one.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Matthew