[protege-discussion] Not all properties are show in dcterm ontology

Timothy Redmond tredmond at stanford.edu
Sun Oct 28 23:22:08 PDT 2012

This is a bit tricky because I suspect that the OWL api is trying to be
forgiving here.  I think that the short story is that dublin core is not
an OWL 2 ontology.  While I haven't done a complete check, I think that
an OWL 2 compliant parser [2] should reject dublin core as an import.
This doesn't mean that an OWL 2 ontology cannot use the vocabulary but
it does suggest that an import statement should import a dl-compliant
version of the ontology.

I think that the latest version of the dublin core in rdf can be found
here [1].  I did a search through it and found that it only used the owl
vocabulary once to state that the property

            http://purl.org/dc/terms/creator

is equivalent to the property

           http://xmlns.com/foaf/0.1/maker

In particular, there are no declarations of data properties or of object
properties.  In addition, with the lack of OWL vocabulary, it is hard to
see how an OWL 2 compliant parser [2] could meet the requirement at the
end of section 3 of [2] which says " At the end of this process, the
graph/G//must/be empty.".

The OWL api is trying to be helpful by not rejecting the ontology.  But
many of the triples in the ontology are ambiguous and can be interpreted
in more than one way.  If we are out of spec as I think, then it is not
clear what the OWL api should be showing.

My advice would be to use the vocabulary but not the rdf import.  There
is at least one attempt to make a dl-version of dublin core [3] but I am
not sure of its quality.  (The obi ontology imports this so this might
be a positive indicator.) Also, if you like, you can use the vocabulary
without importing anything.

-Timothy

[1] http://dublincore.org/2008/01/14/dcterms.rdf
[2]http://www.w3.org/TR/2009/REC-owl2-mapping-to-rdf-20091027/#Mapping_from_RDF_Graphs_to_the_Structural_Specification