[protege-discussion] Working with large ontologies in Web Protege 2

Timothy Redmond tredmond at stanford.edu
Thu Sep 6 08:27:26 PDT 2012

I am not the best person to answer this but I can give some answers and
forward it to people who will give more information.

On 09/05/2012 04:09 PM, Rajeev Singh wrote:
> Hi,
> I aplogize for re-sending. Going with the assumption that my earlier
> mail (08/31) fell through the cracks.
> The features in WebProtege 2 are very promising and will definitely
> help in increasing adoption of semantic technologies in the area of
> knowledge
> management. Thanks for this valuable effort.
> Have a couple of questions regarding working with large ontologies in
> WebProtege. Let us assume that we are working with ontology with about
> 50000 TBox & 100000 ABox nodes. Also assume that each TBox class has
> 10 properties(5 data and 5 object)

50,000 classes is not really very large.  Protege 4 loads ontologies
with about 90,000 classes in less than 15 seconds.  In the Protege 3
Web-Protege, putting this information into a database will take some
time but it should still be very workable.

I have less experience with large numbers of individuals.

> - How does WebProtege store ontologies. As RDF files or in RDF triple
> store (DB based)

Protege 3 based WebProtege stores the ontology in a Protege 3 database.
It also can be configured to load the ontology in memory which would run
a lot faster but which requires a server with more memory.

The OWL api based Web Protege stores the ontology on disk and in
memory.  It uses a file format that allows it to load large ontologies
very quickly (SNOMED in under 2 seconds) so it can be somewhat
aggressive about removing an in-memory ontology.

> - Given a massive ontology does the back end server load the entire
> ontology in memory when a web Client opens it

Protege 3 based web protege can store the ontology in a Protege 3 database.

> - When a web client opens a large ontology is the entire ontology sent
> to the client

Web Protege never sends the entire ontology to the client.

-Timothy