[protege-discussion] Protege installation in Windows 8 and Web Protege

Bruce Whealton bruce at whealton.info
Mon Sep 17 11:47:25 PDT 2012

Hello all,
         I have not been able to get Protégé to install in my copy of Windows 8, the Developer release of the OS.  It concerns me because we are getting close to the “official” release data and I have been getting all the updates to Windows, so it seems that not much is going to change about Windows 8 between now and its official release.  I have been trying version 4.1 and 4.2.  The latter is beta but 4.1 is stable.  I have other Java applications that run ok.  I use Java Beans 7.2 which I think uses Java SE 1.7.2 which is the same as Java 7.2 – I get confused about the version designations with Java.  I know I have the latest version 7 of the Java SDK.
       I do have Web Protégé too.  Does Web Protégé perform the same as the desktop version?  I had some trouble finding the documentation for Web Protégé.  I also have Virtual Box with Ubuntu running so maybe it runs in Ubuntu, the desktop version, that is.
Thanks,
Bruce