[protege-discussion] Protege 4.2 Transitive Property

Semir Sarajlic ssarajlic1 at student.gsu.edu
Tue Apr 23 06:27:55 PDT 2013

Hi Everyone,

In Protege 4.2, I am having a problem declaring a property as a transitive property.  Everytime I select a transitive option and run my Pellet  reasoner, Pellet reasoner gives an error stating that my ontolgy is inconsistent.

I was trying to state that my ObjectProperty containedIn is a transitive property.  For example, in my ontology I am trying to state that object A is contained in object B, and object B is contained in object C; therefore object  A is containedIn object C; hence the property containedIn is transitive. For now, I am creating an intersection of domain A and B containedIn range C,  but this statement is not completely accurate.

I have checked a lot of the forums from Ontolog and Protege, and have not found anything that helped; also, I have checked the Protege manual, but I did not find instructions on how to declare transitive property in the Protege 4.2 API.

If anyone could provide me with instructions on how to declare  this property transitive in Protege 4.2 that would be most helpfull.

Thank you in advance,

Semir Sarajlic
Georgia State University
Geosciences Department