[protege-discussion] Protege 4.2 Transitive Property

Csongor Nyulas csongor.nyulas at stanford.edu
Tue Apr 23 10:54:10 PDT 2013

Hello Semir,

You can set a data or object property transitive by checking
"Transitive" checkbox in the "Characteristics" view of the property (see
bellow).

The fact that a property is transitive does not make any ontology
inconsistent by itself. If the transitive containedIn property is a
contributing factor for your ontology being inconsistent, you have to
analyze your ontology to understand what other axioms in your ontology
are contributing to your ontology being inconsistent. The easiest way to
see the reason for the inconsistency, is to click on the "Explain"
button when (and if) you get and inconsistent ontology message, like here:

If you still have trouble, you could send the ontology to the mailing
list and I am sure somebody will be able to explain what is going wrong
and how to fix it.

Csongor