[protege-discussion] Pellet Reasoner 1.5.2 in Protege 3.5

Mahmood2.Ahmad Mahmood2.Ahmad at live.uwe.ac.uk
Thu Dec 19 05:18:31 PST 2013

Dear colleagues,

[A copy of this message is set to each forum at prot?g?-owl at lists.stanford.edu<mailto:prot?g?-owl at lists.stanford.edu> and prot?g?-discussion at lists.stanford.edu<mailto:prot?g?-discussion at lists.stanford.edu> .... apologies for cross posting].

I am seeking help on the problem of Pellet reasoner 1.5.2 in Prot?g? 3.5 alpha on my windows 8 PC laptop which has 8GB RAM. After looking at discussions at this prestigious forum, I have set the maximum memory field in prot?g?.lax file as 3GB for the prot?g? launching indicates that the maximum is set at 1871 MB.

I have the following ontologies imported in my prot?g? project:

1) Ontology P2 that further imports ontology P1 which further imports ontologies A and B
2) Ontology P4 that imports ontology P3
3) Ontology P5

As soon as I have imported the ontologies, Pellet reasoner 1.5.2 performs the consistency check which is successful.

The problem of 'out of memory' starts when I add more than one individuals to a concept. The reasoner simply goes out of memory on adding more than one concept.

Is this expected? What does this indicate? Could you please help me on resolving this problem as I need to infer some SWRL rules on about 100 individuals?

Very grateful and with regards,

Mahmood Ahmad
(PhD student)