[protege-discussion] Protege 3 farmes -> Protege 4 OWL?

Samson Tu swt at stanford.edu
Mon Jan 7 17:14:45 PST 2013

I think the "Migration from 3.1 to 3.4" program assumes that the
starting ontology is already in OWL. The question was about how to
convert from a frame ontology to OWL.

 From a loaded Protege 3.x frame ontology, you can go to "File/Convert
Project to Format ..." menu item and select OWL/RDF Files as the
destination format. Click OK, and Protege will try its best to convert
the ontology to OWL. Depending on the Protege frame features you use,
the conversion will be more or less successful. Once you've loaded the
converted OWL project, go to Project/Configure menu item, select the
appropriate tabs (e.g., OWLClassesTab) for an OWL ontology, and in the
Options tab, unselect "Display Hidden Frame" (which will hide a number
of system classes you usually don't want to see).

With best regards,
Samson