[protege-discussion] RMI server scalability for Protege Frames 3.5 editor

Timothy Redmond tredmond at stanford.edu
Sat Jun 22 12:49:55 PDT 2013

This type of performance problem is a tricky area and to understand it
better we would have to understand exactly where the bottleneck is.  But
my first questions would be how large is the pprj file and what version
of Protege are you using.  We made a change to Protege recently that
optimizes how the .pprj part of a frames project is loaded by the
client.  Using the very latest version of Protege may dramatically
improve the startup performance if the pprj file is large.

If moving to the latest Protege is not sufficient then you could send me
a copy of the ontology so that I could see the performance issue and
find the bottleneck here.  If you send the ontology out of line I can
keep it private if needed.

> Therefore the culprit seems to be network demands of the rmi server.

This sounds like a simple

> 1. What is the practical scalability limit of the Protege RMI
> client-server in terms of ontology size?

The server-client is used with ontologies of over 128K classes. In this
example the ontology is also a mysql database project.  So the 25000
frames you describe is not that large.

> 2.  Are there additional configuration settings that we can try to get
> our ontology to load?

It has been a long time since I worked on the protege 3 client server
but I think you have found the main options.  But you should also be
warned that

             -Dserver.client.preload.skip=true

might work against you.  You save time on the preload but all the
operations thereafter are slower until the client side cache has been
sufficiently built up.

> 3.  Are there other collaboration models we could try for allowing
> multiple people to work on a large scale Frames ontology besides the
> rmi client-server approach?

You could also try webprotege.

-Timothy