[protege-discussion] "Downsizing" from concept to data

Samson Tu swt at stanford.edu
Fri Mar 8 17:22:20 PST 2013

Hi,

It's not clear to me why you want to define
manufacturing_operation_has_limits and list_of_real.

If the limits you are talking about apply to all instances of a kind of
manufacturing operation, you may want to define, for example,

Class Milling
   hasCuttingSpeed hasValue int[< 100]

where hasCuttingSpeed is a data property, and the expression says that
all instances of the Milling operation has a cutting speed that's less
than 100 (assuming some unit).

If you need to model units explicitly, then you need to get some unit
ontology, and can define,

Class Quantity
   value some int
   unit some Unit  (from unit ontology)

hasCuttingSpeed then should be an object property whose range is
Quantity, and you can define

Class Milling
   hasCuttingSpeed some (Quantity and (value hasValue int[< 100]) and
(unit ...))

The restriction on the unit property depends on how units are modeled.

I hope I am not too far off base in terms of what you need.

With best regards,
Samson