[protege-discussion] how to use the mysql table imported in protege

Csongor Nyulas csongor.nyulas at stanford.edu
Mon Mar 11 15:08:51 PDT 2013

Hi Sugan,

If you have already imported your mysql tables (or some of them) into
your ontology, then you just need to save your ontology, and depending
what type of ontology you have, the imported content would be saved in
OWL, RDF, Protege frames (.pont/.pint files).

If you are asking how to "create an OWL file" from your tables, I guess
you have not yet imported the tables (i.e. their structures or their
content). Otherwise you would see the imported content as part of your
ontology in Protege, and you would probably have figured it out by now
that simply saving the ontology you would have the content in OWL (or
whatever type of ontology you have created/opened). So my first
recommendation would be to make sure you use the DataMaster plugin
appropriately, i.e. once you have connected to the database, you select
the import options that best suit your needs, you select the tables that
you want to import, and then you *press the "Import" button*. After the
import have finished, you can inspect the results in the other Protege
tabs, and you can save your ontology.

DataMaster does not generate an explicit mapping file. The imported
content is always generated the exact same way, using the same standard
mappings described in [1] that you can tweak with the configuration options.

Csongor

[1]
http://protege.stanford.edu/conference/2007/presentations/10.01_Nyulas.pdf