Search Mailing List Archives


Limit search to: Subject & Body Subject Author
Sort by: Reverse Sort
Limit to: All This Week Last Week This Month Last Month
Select Date Range     through    

[protege-discussion] Proceedings: Ontology Summit 2013: session-10 - Software Environments for Evaluating Ontologies-II - Thu 2013.03.21

Peter Yim peter.yim at cim3.com
Fri Mar 22 19:18:02 PDT 2013


Dear All,


We had another great session yesterday (Mar-21) . Let's give a huge
THANK YOU to our panelists -  Adam Pease, Till Mossakowski, Tania
Tudorache, Michel Dumontier and Kingsley Idehen - for sharing their
work and insights with us ... sincere appreciations also goes out to
everyone who participated and contributed to the discussion too.

For your information, the full proceedings of the session (slides,
chat-transcript, audio recording, attendees roster, etc.) are
available online now. They are accessible from the "Archives" section
on the session page - at:
http://ontolog.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?ConferenceCall_2013_03_21

In our total excitement in launching the OntologySummit2013 "software
support for ontology quality and fitness" survey (designed by Mike
Denny), we forgot to recognize Ken Baclawski, who deserves mucho
kudos, for almost single-handedly, implemented that Survey and its
underlying ontology, on our new purple semantic mediawiki (psmw)
platform.

Again, if you develop or operate such software
tool/system/environment, PLEASE make sure you get a chance to respond
to that survey - it's at:
http://ontolog-02.cim3.net/wiki/OntologySummit2013_Survey ... we
cordially invite you to complete this survey on/before Thu 2013.04.04,
to help us, as a community, to better understand the state-of-the-art
on software capabilities available to assess and promote the quality
and fitness of ontologies. Help spread the word and ask your pals to
respond too!

We will look forward to your joining us again, same time next Thursday
(March-28,) for our 11th virtual session when we will be Launching the
"OntologySummit2013 Hackathon & Clinics" Activities.

... Talk to you all then!


Thanks & regards. =ppy

the session-10 Co-chairs,
Mike Denny & Peter Yim

and the
OntologySummit2013 Organizing Committee
http://ontolog.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?OntologySummit2013
--


---------- original message ----------
From: Peter Yim <peter.yim at cim3.com>
Date: Wed, Mar 20, 2013 at 1:53 PM
Subject: Re: Ontology Summit 2013: session-10 - Software Environments
for Evaluating Ontologies-II - Thu 2013.03.21
To: Ontology Summit 2013 <ontology-summit at ontolog.cim3.net>


Re: http://ontolog.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?ConferenceCall_2013_03_21


This is a final REMINDER that virtual panel session-10 of our Ontology
Summit 2013 is coming up tomorrow (Thursday, Mar-21.)

We have assembled a really exciting expert panel for tomorrow. Our
panelists will showcase exemplary ontology software
tools/systems/environments, covering almost the entire ontology
spectrum – from the perspectives of the very formal (First Order
Logic, model theoretic, … ) to the view that the Web is our software
environment. They will share their insights that will help make sense
out of the variety and diversity of approaches, and the show us the
importance of ontology evaluation and quality that one should apply
over the entire lifecycle of the ontology. You really don't want to
miss this session.


RSVP now (details below) if you haven't already!


Again, *** Please take special note on the start time of
this event, as the US will be on daylight saving (summer) time
on this day, while the EU will still be on standard (winter) time!
 ... For participants from the EU, for example, this
session will start an hour earlier than usual, whereas for those
from the US, the start-time will be like before (but unlike
last week, when we  made special provisions to keep it unchanged
for the EU folks.). ***


* Date: Thursday, 14-Mar-2013

* Start Time: 9:30am PDT / 12:30pm EDT / 5:30pm CET / 16:30 GMT/UTC
  ref: World Clock -
http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?month=3&day=21&year=2013&hour=9&min=30&sec=0&p1=224

* Expected Call Duration: ~2.0 hours


* Dial-in:
** Phone (US): +1 (206) 402-0100 ... Conference ID: 141184# , or
** Skype: "joinconference"
(i.e. make a skype call to the contact with skypeID="joinconference")
... when prompted enter Conference ID: 141184#

Just point your browser to the session page:
http://ontolog.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?ConferenceCall_2013_03_21
when you are about to connect into the session. Details will be
there at the top of the pages. Try dialing-in a few minutes
before the scheduled start-time.



Talk to you all tomorrow! =ppy

for the
OntologySummit2013 session-10 Co-chairs,
Mike Denny & Peter Yim
--



---------- original message ----------
From: Peter Yim <peter.yim at cim3.com>
Date: Fri, Mar 15, 2013 at 12:42 PM
Subject: Ontology Summit 2013: session-10 - Software Environments for
Evaluating Ontologies-II - Thu 2013.03.21
To: Ontology Summit 2013 <ontology-summit at ontolog.cim3.net>


Re: http://ontolog.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?ConferenceCall_2013_03_21


Dear Colleagues,


You are cordially invited to participate at the ongoing Ontology
Summit 2013. Our theme for the Summit this year is: "Ontology
Evaluation Across the Ontology Lifecycle." Coming up next Thursday
(Mar-21) is our 10th virtual panel session, when we will look at more
exemplary Software Environments, Systems and Tools and how they
address Ontology Evaluation and Quality. ... RSVP (details below)!

***Attention:*** Please take special note on the start time of this
event - 9:30am PDT / 12:30pm EDT / 5:30pm CET / 16:30 GMT/UTC -  as
the US will be on daylight saving (summer) time on this day, while the
EU will still be on standard (winter) time!
 ... For participants from the EU, for example, this session  will
start an hour earlier than usual, whereas for those from the US, the
start-time will be the same as previous session  (but unlike last
week's session because did tweak the start time to accommodate our EU
colleagues.)


****************** Headlines ***********************

Please join us this Thursday and most of the Thursdays in the next
month-and-a-half, when we will be featuring virtual panel sessions
every week, as part of the Ontology Summit 2013 program:

*Thu 21 Mar 2013* - OntologySummit2013 session-10 - Track D: Software
Environments for Evaluating Ontologies-II - Co-chairs: Dr. Michael Denny
& Mr. Peter Yim - see developing details on the session page
at: http://ontolog.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?ConferenceCall_2013_03_21

*Thu 28 Mar 2013* - OntologySummit2013 session-11 - Getting the
"hackathon," "clinics" and related activities going
- Co-chairs: Mr. Mike Dean & Professor Ken Baclawski
- see developing details on the session page
at: http://ontolog.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?ConferenceCall_2013_03_28

*Thu 4 Apr 2013* - OntologySummit2013 session-12 - Synthesis-II
- Co-chairs: Dr. Matthew West & Professor Michael Gruninger
- see developing details on the session page
at: http://ontolog.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?ConferenceCall_2013_04_04

*Thu 11 Apr 2013* - OntologySummit2013 session-13 - "Communique Draft Review"
- Co-chairs: Dr. Amanda Vizedom & Dr. Fabian Neuhaus
- see developing details on the session page
at: http://ontolog.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?ConferenceCall_2013_04_11

*Thu 18 Apr 2013* - OntologySummit2013 session-13 - "Final Communique Review"
- Co-chairs: Dr. Fabian Neuhaus  & Dr. Amanda Vizedom - see
developing details on the session page
at: http://ontolog.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?ConferenceCall_2013_04_18

---

* between our Jan-17 launch of the Ontology Summit, and end Apr-2012,
we are planning to run virtual panel sessions every Thursday at the
same time window, ~ 2 Hrs, starting 9:30am PDT / 12:30pm EDT
/ 6:30pm CEST / 5:30pm BST / 16:30 UTC (unless otherwise specified,
like this week, when DST is in transition) ... please mark your calendars.

*Register your attendance* by emailing <peter.yim at cim3.com> off-line
or register yourself directly to the wiki session page. Please specify
the date or name of the session(s) you are registering for (your
affiliation too, if you are not already a member of the community.)
... RSVP


****** Session Details ******

OntologySummit2013: Virtual Panel Session-10 - Thu 2013-03-21

Summit Theme: "Ontology Evaluation Across the Ontology Lifecycle"

Session Topic:
   "Software Environments for Evaluating Ontologies - II"

* Session Chairs:
     Dr. Michael Denny (MITRE)  & Mr. Peter Yim (CIM3; ONTOLOG)


Panelists / Briefings:

* Mr. AdamPease (Articulate Software)
  - "The Sigma Knowledge Engineering Environment"

* Prof. Dr. TillMossakowski (University of Bremen)
  - "Ontohub.org - a web platform for distributed and heterogeneous ontologies"

* Dr. TaniaTudorache (Stanford-BMIR)
  - "WebProtege and BioPortal as Infrastructures for Ontology Evaluation"

* Professor MichelDumontier (Carleton University)
  - "Evaluation of ontology-powered scientific research as a means to
assess and improve ontology quality"

* Mr. KingsleyIdehen (OpenLink Software)
  - "Ontology life cycles and Linked Open Data (LOD)"


Abstract:

This is our 9th Ontology Summit, a joint initiative by NIST, Ontolog,
NCOR, NCBO, IAOA & NCO_NITRD with the support of our co-sponsors. The
theme adopted for this Ontology Summit is: "Ontology Evaluation Across
the Ontology Lifecycle."

Currently, there is no agreed methodology for development of
ontologies, and there are no universally agreed metrics for ontology
evaluation. At the same time, everybody agrees that there are a lot of
badly engineered ontologies out there, thus people use -- at least
implicitly -- some criteria for the evaluation of ontologies.

During this OntologySummit, we seek to identify best practices for
ontology development and evaluation. We will consider the entire
lifecycle of an ontology -- from requirements gathering and analysis,
through to design and implementation. In this endeavor, the Summit
will seek collaboration with the software engineering and knowledge
acquisition communities. Research in these fields has led to several
mature models for the software lifecycle and the design of
knowledge-based systems, and we expect that fruitful interaction among
all participants will lead to a consensus for a methodology within
ontological engineering. Following earlier Ontology Summit practice,
the synthesized results of this season's discourse will be published
as a Communique.

At the Launch Event on 17 Jan 2013, the organizing team provided an
overview of the program, and how we will be framing the discourse
around the theme of of this OntologySummit. Today's session is one of
the events planned.

In this 10th virtual panel session of the Summit, we have invited the
stewards of some exemplary ontology software tools and environments
out there to join us on the panel. They will share with us their work,
experience and insights - particularly on how the software
environments/systems/tools they represent, support evaluating
intrinsic aspects and extrinsic aspects of ontologies, and how they
help assure quality across the lifecycle of the development (of the
ontology or the ontology-driven application). We will also hear about
what they think are the major obstacles now, toward quality
excellence, relevant work they are embarking on, and wish lists of
what have yet to be done in term of improving ontology quality.

We are also expecting to be "officially" launching the
OntologySummit2013 Survey of Software Support for Ontology Quality and
Fitness, which we alluded to earlier, at this session.


******************

These sessions, like all Ontolog virtual events, are open and free of
charge. Anyone who is interested, or (better still) who may have
something to contribute, is welcome. Please refer to event details on
the session pages, to which the hyperlink is given above, where you
will find session agenda, conference call dial-in, slides and other
pertinent information. Feel free to pass this invitation along to
colleagues who may also find these sessions to be of interest.

*RSVP* by emailing Peter Yim at <peter.yim at cim3.com> offline (or add
yourself directly to the session page if you are already an Ontolog or
Ontology Summit community member) so that we can prepare enough
resources to support everyone. [Please state clearly the date of the
session you are registering for in your email.] ... All respondents
will be subscribed (if they aren't already so) to the
[ontology-summit] mailing list so they are participate in the virtual
discourse.

These sessions will be recorded and made available in a publicly
accessible archive. Therefore, before participating, please make sure
you are cognizant of our IPR policy (ref:
http://ontolog.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?WikiHomePage#nid32).


Regards.  =ppy

For and on behalf of the

OntologySummit2013 session-10 Co-chairs,
Michael Denny & Peter Yim

and Members of the
OntologySummit2013 Organizing Committee


p.s. full proceedings of the previous sessions (slides,
chat-transcript, audio recording, etc.) are all  available online now.
They are accessible from the "Archives" section on their respective
session pages, which you can find listed under "What's New" (near the
top) on the Ontology Summit 2013 homepage -
at: http://ontolog.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?OntologySummit2013
--


_________________________________________________________________
Msg Archives: http://ontolog.cim3.net/forum/ontology-summit/
Subscribe/Config: http://ontolog.cim3.net/mailman/listinfo/ontology-summit/
Unsubscribe: mailto:ontology-summit-leave at ontolog.cim3.net
Community Files: http://ontolog.cim3.net/file/work/OntologySummit2013/
Community Wiki: http://ontolog.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?OntologySummit2013
Community Portal: http://ontolog.cim3.net/wiki/


More information about the protege-discussion mailing list