[protege-discussion] RE : How to fetch all Annotations for DataProperty

Timothy Redmond tredmond at stanford.edu
Mon Mar 25 04:49:33 PDT 2013

On 03/24/2013 11:33 PM, Prathyusha Baggiri wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have defined some custom annotations for Data property in protégé.
> How can I fetch these custom annotations using OWL Api. Any
> suggestions would be grateful..

My question here is what you mean by this exactly.  You could mean that
you have defined some custom annotations for a datatype property.  In
this case, the datatype property is an owl entity and you can retrieve
the annotations with code such as the following:

	private void getAnnotations(OWLOntology ontology, OWLEntity entity) {
		for (OWLAnnotation annotation : entity.getAnnotations(ontology)) {
			logger.info("Annotation with annotation property " + annotation.getProperty());
			logger.info("\tAnnotation value = " + annotation.getValue());
		}
	}

But the most obvious interpretation is that you have attached
annotations to the /owl:DatatypeProperty/ resource.  In this case the
first thing to be aware of is that you are now working in OWL full which
is not entirely supported by OWL 2 centric tools such as Protege 4 and
the OWL api.  However, I believe that in this case, the OWL api will
interpret the owl:DatatypeProperty object as some sort of OWL entity and
you can treat this like any other annotation.

-Timothy

/
/