[protege-discussion] Find and changa an Individual in a .owl file

Timothy Redmond tredmond at stanford.edu
Mon Jan 27 13:12:12 PST 2014

Hello,

My guess is that with a little more detail we will be able to quickly
figure this out.  First, if possible it would be nice to see the ontology.

> I do have an Individual (own#real)

What is the full name of this individual?  If for example, you meant
that the name is owl:real so that the full name is

    http://www.w3.org/2002/07/owl#real

then this is probably the source of your problem.  Using reserved names
(such as the names of datatypes) for your own use can lead to ambiguous
parsing by different owl parsers.  It is possible that the parser used
by FaCT++ generated a different in memory version of your ontology than
the Protege parser did.  It may be a bit tricky to tell by looking at
the rdf what the full name of the resource is.

> that does not exist in my ontology (it is not shown in Protegé's
> Indivuduals tab) but exists according to the reasoner (FACT++).

By what means did FaCT++ tell you that the individual exists.  Did you
run FaCT++ from the command line or otherwise?  This may not be
important if my guess about your ontology is correct.

> The only similar Individual I have is called Real (notice the CAPS).
> I cannot use a DL SELECT command either because the reasoner complies
> about this issue. Thus, I opened the .owl file and found several
> owl#real occurrences. My question is: can i simply change real by Real
> in the .owl file with no side affects?

This may have to be done carefully.  If the name of the "individual" in
question is

  	http://www.w3.org/2002/07/owl#real

then some of these references may represent the real datatype.  You
would want to only change those that occur as the individual.  You
should also at some point (maybe after getting this ontology to parse in
Protege as you expect it) change the namespace of these individuals so
that they are not in the owl: namespace.

> Version: 4.1

If by this you mean Protege 4.1, I would recommend that you upgrade to
Protege 4.2 if you can.

-Timothy