[protege-owl] String return instead of a Slot when setting ":SLOT" slot after reloading an ontology

Hans.Schevers at csiro.au Hans.Schevers at csiro.au
Sun Sep 3 21:47:10 PDT 2006

Dear all,

Just for demonstrating purposes I have created an OWL ontology containing a class 'AClass' with a property "slotProperty" with range rdf:Property.

Storing the slot ":Name" in the slotProperty works until you save and reload the whole ontology. After saving the slotProperty value for ":Name" becomes a String instead of a DefaultSlot. Again before saving a defaultSlot is returned.

some code snippets:

Slot nameSlot = kb.getSlot(":NAME" );
Slot slot = kb.getSlot("slotProperty" );
instance.setDirectOwnSlotValue(slot,nameSlot );
instance.getDirectOwnSlotValue(slot )// this will return a DefaultSlot so that is correct

// after saving the ontology and retrieving the slotValue
instance.getDirectOwnSlotValue(slot)// this will return a String!

In addition the protégé userinterface is not displaying the ":NAME" slot.

Creating a work around this is not too difficult however I hope that I can use the ":NAME" slot in the way as described above as I feel that the ":NAME" slot is bit of a (hidden) system slot

Any comments on this?

Thanks.

With regards,
Hans