[protege-owl] Bug ? Hiding identifyers for owl classes with set lang attributes for rdfs:labels does not work for owl-imported ontologies

Schober schober at ebi.ac.uk
Wed Sep 6 07:30:48 PDT 2006

Dear Protege developers,
I still have this problem that classes that are imported are displayed
by their :names/rdf:ids and not by their rdfs:labels. This holds true
for all classes that have the "en" xml lang attribute set. Adding the
protege:defaultLanguage annotation property to the metadata section (as
described on
http://protege.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?HidingIdentifiersWithLabelsInOWLPlugin

step 5 ) of both ontologies doesn't help either. As soon as I delete the
"en" for the classes rdfs:labels they are displayed by label correctly
as specified in the Forms tab. When I set the lang attribute to "en" it
is immediately displayed by :NAME.

I stated the problem before ( protege-owl  list, 8.8.06), but got no
reply... See that last mail below....

I could send the ontology, so you can try it out and see what I mean....
I would be very thankful for advice.
Best regards,
        Daniel Schober.

Hello Protegeans. I think it is a bug:
Opening an owl ontology using Protege V 3.2 build 322, the browser key
does not show the rdfs:label values for classes that have the lang
attribute set for their rdfs:label (although set correctly to rdfs:label
for the owl:class in the forms tab). This results in an ugly hierarchy
being displayed by protege that shows a mixture of proper class names
(rdfs:label as browser/display key) and  prefixed numeric identifiers
(rdf:ID  as browser/display key).
We work around this, by not setting the xml lang attribute, resp.
deleting it where set ( quick and dirty, I just delete "<rdfs:label
xml:lang="en">" in the owl file ).
Then the hierarchy will be displayed correctly by the class names not
the ids, given you changed the browser key to be rdfs:label in the forms
tab.
Is there a cleaner solution? Is this bug being fixed ?

Best regards,
               Daniel Schober.

--
Daniel Schober
Ontologist, FuGO-Project

The European Bioinformatics Institute   email:  schober at ebi.ac.uk
EMBL Outstation - Hinxton               direct: +44 (0)1223 494410
Wellcome Trust Genome Campus            fax: +44 (0)1223 494 468
Cambridge CB10 1SD, UK
Project page: www.ebi.ac.uk/microarray/Projects/tox-nutri/index.html
Personal Page:
http://www.ebi.ac.uk/Information/Staff/person_maint.php?s_person_id=734