[protege-owl] Knowledge from different ontologies

Julia Dmitrieva jdmitrie at liacs.nl
Thu Sep 7 02:00:06 PDT 2006

Hello Protege-OWL-ers,

I am developing an application that get a
knowledge from different ontologies in aria
of BioInformatics.
At this moment I use SPARQL queries in order
to find the concepts (in different ontologies)
that contains the query string in ID, label or comment
of the classes.

Now I try to figure out how to connect the concepts
from different ontologies that I have found.
The following step will be of course the getting
extra knowledge from subclass superclass relationships,
from Object properties and datatype properties.

What is the better manner to do it?
Have I make one common ontology where I can define
the new concepts as union of the concepts that are
close (I mean linguistic close, because they can have
very different structure and can be defined at different
level of granularity).
Can I after that use the reasoner?
Will the reasoner figure out that each
class from the UNION is the subclass of all
the supers from different ontologies. And that the
subclasses of the different ontologies are also
the subclasses of my union?
May be I can use SWRL language to define rules in order
to reason in different ontologies without making the
common ontology. For example I can define this kind of
rules (suppose, that I have found two close concepts A and B
A from one ontology and B from other ontology, now I can define the
following rule :
if A is PROPERTY of C then B is PROPERTY of C.
Have I use Jess for it, I read somewhere that Jess
inferences are not always correct and it is not
open source.

Please, give me some suggestions, because there are a
lot of possibilities and it is better to choose the good
direction.
Thanks a lot,
Julia