[protege-owl] can I run SWRL rules without JESS somehow?

Martin O'Connor sunid at stanford.edu
Fri Sep 8 05:35:43 PDT 2006

>Thanks for your replies. I'll look into Pellet and Jena, too, then.
>Sheesh, I'm surprised JESS is so expensive, if they priced it at $300
>or so I'd buy it.

In terms of Protege-OWL SWRL support, Jess is the only game in town at
the moment. When DIG 2.0 is released I plan to use a free version of
KAON2 as an additional back end. KAON2 will be a very attractive
solution because it is both a reasoner and a SWRL engine.

As Tim mentioned, there is a mechanism within the SWRLTab to integrate
additional rule engines; however, this integration process will
typically require more than $2k of development effort, so is probably
not going to be of interest to you unless your  goal is to develop a
free tool.

The Wikipedia page for SWRL lists quite a few tools that support SWRL.
In addition to the Protege-OWL SWRLTab, these include Pellet, Hoolet,
Bossam, R2ML, KAON2 and RacerPro. Many of the tools have only recently
added SWRL support, so some implementations may be more robust than
others. The SweetRules project also had a SWRL to Jena mapping mechanism.

Given this level of recent development effort, it would be a stretch to
say that SWRL is 'not leading anywhere'. Like pretty much any Semantic
Web technology, if there are enough good tools out there to support it,
people will start adopting it.

Martin