[protege-owl] Representing Organizations as an Ontology

John Feeney jfeeney at aptima.com
Wed Sep 13 12:29:31 PDT 2006

I'm an new to OWL and want to use it to create an ontology to do the
heavy lifting for a system - essentially having a rich ontology so I can
use a smaller set of rules.

Here is my issue: I have a organization's structure something like:

Organization Class has subclasses:
Division - Section - Subsection - Group where: I could have numerous
Divisions, Sections, Subsections, Groups. Also, there might be an asset
at higher level that is available to all components - like contracting.
So the Sections contracting office would be used by the Section's
Subsection(s), and Unit(s).

Organization is the 'super' class, the Section is component of the
Division and the Subsection is part of the Section, and the Group is
part of the Subsection.

I was thinking to define properties hasAComponent and isAMember to
define the relationship explicitly.
Division hasAComponent Section
Section isAMember of Division,
Section hasAComponent

I've looked all over for isAParent, isAChild type of properties - I've
found them but never saw how they were used a class.

Maybe I am thinking about this in the wrong way. If anyone has any
answers, ideas, or directions to steer me into I would appreciate it.
Thanks.

John Feeney, Ph.D.
Cognitive Scientist
Aptima, Inc.
1726 M Street NW, Suite 900
Washington, DC 20036
202-842-1548 x339 (voice)
202-842-2630 (fax)
Web: http://www.aptima.com

The information transmitted is intended only for the person or entity to which it is addressed and may contain confidential and/or privileged material. Any review, retransmission, dissemination or other use of, or taking of any action in reliance upon this information by persons or entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you received this in error, please contact the sender and delete the material from any computer.