[protege-owl] Differences between RDFSchema and RDF without owl

Timothy Redmond tredmond at stanford.edu
Thu Sep 14 16:27:17 PDT 2006

There are  subtle differences in how they save.  In the owl case, the
type of file saved is an owl file with rdf constructs as seen from
the fragment below:

   <owl:Class rdf:ID="A"/>
   <owl:Class rdf:ID="B">
     <rdfs:subClassOf rdf:resource="#A"/>
   </owl:Class>

In the RDF without OWL case, the RDF file generated contains no OWL
but can quickly start referencing protege extensions to RDF:

<rdfs:Class rdf:about="&kb;B"
          rdfs:label="B">
         <rdfs:subClassOf rdf:resource="&rdfs;Resource"/>
</rdfs:Class>
<rdf:Property rdf:about="&kb;f"
          a:maxCardinality="1"
          rdfs:label="f">
         <rdfs:domain rdf:resource="&kb;A"/>
         <rdfs:range rdf:resource="&kb;B"/>
</rdf:Property>

The a:maxCardinality in the above example is a protege extension to
state that the property &kb;f has at most one value.

-Timothy