[protege-owl] can I run SWRL rules without JESS somehow?

Paulw paulw9681 at
Thu Sep 14 21:01:53 PDT 2006

The jess rule engine can be implemented without cost into the protege environment and applied using the SWRL tab.  Im not sure why this hasnt come up.  I have added the SWRL tab as well as JESS without spending a dime.

"Murray, William R" <William.R.Murray at> wrote: Holger and Tim,

Thanks for your replies. I'll look into Pellet and Jena, too, then.
Sheesh, I'm surprised JESS is so expensive, if they priced it at $300
or so I'd buy it.

-----Original Message-----
From: Holger Knublauch [mailto:holger at]
Sent: Thursday, September 07, 2006 2:37 PM
To: User support for the Protege-OWL editor
Subject: Re: [protege-owl] can I run SWRL rules without JESS somehow?

Hi Bill,

not sure why no one else responds here (I am also interested in more

As far as I know, Pellet has some SWRL support now (but you would need
to follow up on their discussion lists).

Of, if you are not bound to SWRL itself, you could also use the Jena
Rules engine, which has very similar expressivity.  The Jena rules
language is of course not a standard, but SWRL is also not leading
anywhere right now.  It is also possible to map SWRL rules into the Jena

The Jena server is down right now so I cannot send you the link.

TopQuadrant, Inc.

Murray, William R wrote:
> Hi, everyone,
> Just a quick question. I'm under the impression that I need JESS to get the SWRL
> tab working. If I'm wrong, or if there is any other way to get SWRL rules working
> could someone please let me know? It looks like JESS would cost me at least
> $2000!
> Thanks,
>           Bill
protege-owl at

Get your email and more, right on the  new