[protege-owl] can I run SWRL rules without JESS somehow?

Samson Tu swt at
Fri Sep 15 09:22:59 PDT 2006

Timothy Redmond wrote:
> On Sep 14, 2006, at 9:01 PM, Paulw wrote:
>> The jess rule engine can be implemented without cost into the protege
>> environment and applied using the SWRL tab.  Im not sure why this
>> hasnt come up.  I have added the SWRL tab as well as JESS without
>> spending a dime.
>> Paul
> This depends on who are are and why you want to use it.  There is a
> license required on  I
> think that many companies try Jess out for evaluation (not clear this is
> strictly ok though) but if they are really going to use it they need to pay.

The Jess website allows downloading and use of an evaluation copy of
Jess that expires within a fixed period of time. For long-term usage, a
Jess license is free for academic and non-profit institutions, but not
for commercial companies.

Samson Tu                    email: swt at
Senior Research Scientist    web: