[protege-owl] Hep with Sub-properties, super-properties and Protege API API

Mark Shaftoe markshaftoe at
Fri Sep 15 03:51:24 PDT 2006

Hello, I'll try to explain my problem with a simple example:
Let's have a class Person and a property friend (multiple Person).
Let's have a sub-property of friend called best_friend (single Person).
Now I create Peter and Mary as Person individuals and relate Peter as best_friend of Mary. I can see (Protege GUI) Mary as best_friend of Peter and as a friend of Peter (among any others), because friend is the super-property of best_friend.
But... if I use Protege (Jena) API and I try to get the friends of Peter I don't get Mary. I have to ask for Peter's best_friend instead.
Is that OK? How can I make that work correctly?
Thank-you very much.