[protege-owl] SWRL-Condition editor

Sheri Stirtzinger sstirtzinger at securboration.com
Fri Sep 15 11:46:31 PDT 2006

I am using build 324.  I am not attempting to use the SWRLTab.  I am trying
to specify a condition (If-Then_else) on a composite process (OWLSTab).  I
wanted the condition to be expressed in SWRL.  When I was unable to create
the condition, I went to the "Individuals" tab and attempted to create the
condition as an individual of SWRL-Condition.  However, when I typed in my
condition expression, it would never save it and no exception was thrown.
It typed in, but disappeared when I clicked on something else.  I will say
that the SWRL editor did not work very well either.  I seemed to have to
click several times to be able to use the features like the property button
or the class button.

As a work around (this is gonna sound kludgy, but I was just trying to find
a solution), I save the project and then edited my .owl file and changed the
imports to import "http://www.daml.org/rules/proposal/swrl.owl" and then
opened my project in Protégé, but specified my .owl file instead of the
.pprj file.  When I do that, I can edit my SWRL-Condition and type the same
expression in and it saves it just great!  The SWRL expression editor also
responds well. Then I can go to my OWLSTab and attach this condition to my
If-Then-Else control-construct.  I really do not think it has to do with
SWRL, but with the import.

As a side note, I did try and import the
"http://www.daml.org/rules/proposal/swrl.owl" from the MetaDataTab and I can
see that in my .repository file.  But when I read in the project from the
.pprj I can "write" expressions but I cannot "save" an expression as before.
It is almost like it is not using that version of swrl.