[protege-owl] My new plugin isn't showed

Massimo Coletti mailing.coletti at finnat.it
Tue Sep 19 01:29:44 PDT 2006

Hi,

I am sorry to repeat a recurring question, but I wasn't able to find a
resolutive answer in previous posts.

I have developed a tool to integrate Velocity in Protege, in order to
create reports from an ontology.
Now I would like to transform it in a plugin, in order to make it more
usable.

Following the documentation I have:
- created a jar velociowl.jar, and placed in a directory
plugins/net.mcoletti.protege.velocity
- the jar contains a manifest witht he content:

Manifest-Version: 1.0

Name: net/mcoletti/protege/velocity/VelocityTabWidget.class
Tab-Widget: True

(one white line before and after the plugin entry)

The directory contains also the velocity.jar library, and a
plugin.properties file with the content:
plugin.component.count=1
plugin.component.name.0=Velocity Tab
plugin.dependency.count=1
plugin.dependency.0=edu.stanford.smi.protegex.owl

The jar contains one class:

package net.mcoletti.protege.velocity;

public class VelocityTabWidget extends AbstractTabWidget {
    public void initialize() {
           // initialize the tab label
        setLabel("Velocity");
        setIcon(Icons.getQueryIcon());
        System.out.println(INIT_MESSAGE);
        field = new JTextField(10);
        field.setText("testo di prova");
        field.setEnabled(true);
        field.setHorizontalAlignment(SwingConstants.RIGHT);

        // add the components to the tab widget
        setLayout(new FlowLayout());
        add(field);

    }
       public static boolean isSuitable(Project project, Collection
errors) {
            return true;

So, I believe that the requirements are satisfied:
- the plugin class extends the proper Abstract plugin class
- initialize() and isSuitable() methods are implemented
- the jar is installed in a subdir of plugins directory
- the manifest entry matches the class name

When Protege starts, the console shows that my plugins is being loaded:

CONFIG: Loaded plugin JessTab - JessTab Plugin
CONFIG: Loaded plugin lu.tudor.citi.demoisel.docgen - docgen, docgen
export project, lu.tudor.citi.demoisel.docgen
CONFIG: Loaded plugin net.mcoletti.protege.velocity - Velocity
Tab        <=== MY PLUGIN
CONFIG: Loaded plugin org.algernon - Algernon

But the plugin isn't showed either in the Project->Configuration or in
the OWL preference -> Tabs

So, what's wrong???

Many thanks

Massimo

P.S. obviously, my plugin will be published!

unauthorized and may be illegal.