[protege-owl] someValuesFrom and allowable instances

Boontawee Suntisrivaraporn meng at tcs.inf.tu-dresden.de
Tue Sep 19 08:54:15 PDT 2006

Hi Dimitris,

I checked this feature with Protege 3.2b installed on my computer and
found it a bit bizarre. If you have a property P in your ontology with
an asserted domain DP and range RP, it should not mean that you cannot
have a property assertion IND1 related by P to IND2 with IND2 not
explicitly belonging to RP.

So, in your example, you should be able to assert that P relates an
instance I1 from class C1 to another instance I2 from class C3. If the
ontology is consistent, the reasoner should be able to infer that I2
belongs to the class C2 (as being drawn from the property range
assertion)

If I'm not mistaken, Protege should not pose such a restriction on
which individuals can be used.

Meng