[protege-owl] Protege KB and Pellet KB

Junlan Qian junlan.qian at unibw-muenchen.de
Fri Sep 22 04:39:05 PDT 2006

Hi,

I have a question about the Protege inference interface. I try to use
Pellet for inferring Ontologies which are created with Protégé. If I use
the Pellet DIG Interface and start the command of Protégé: "classify
taxonomy", the Protégé OWLModel will contain then the inferred
information, and I can get for instance the inferred class hierarchy
showed directly in a new class panel just after clicking the button
"Explore inferred hierarchy" in the primary class panel.

Now I would use Pellet Jena or OWLAPI interface, not the Pellet DIG
Interface. So I tried such code typically as following:
    OWLReasoner owlReasoner = new OWLReasoner(); // The Pellet OWL Reasoner
    owlReasoner.load(model);    // model: instance of
com.hp.hpl.jena.rdf.model.Model, e.g. for the pizza ontologiy
    owlReasoner.classify();
After that the Pellet classes (class Taxonomy or class KnowledgeBase
indirectly) contain the inferred class information, and I can print out
this information with the methode printClassTree() of KnowledgsBase, or
make queries, at Pellet. Because both Pellet and Protégé defined own
KnowledgeBase and the KnowledgeBase of the Protege side doesn't contain
this inferred information, I don't know for example how I can show the
inferred class hierarchy in a new class panel of Protege directly just
as the DIG-Interface does (said as above) without own converting from
the Pellet KnowledgeBase/Model to the Protege KnowledgeBase/Model. Are
there methodes of classes from Protege inference interface which could
bridge these two KnowledgeBases, so that for example I could then just
call such method like showInferredHierarchy() of the Protege class
OWLClassTab to get the inferred class hierarchy directly?

I'll be very glad to get any help and thank very much in advance

With best regards

Junlan