[protege-owl] Object vs. Datatype Properties

John Feeney jfeeney at aptima.com
Fri Sep 22 08:29:34 PDT 2006

I've been plugging away at an ontology that includes as part of it an
organization chart.  The are a bunch of other things what will utilized
the information in the org chart for making decision in Jess.

For a simple org chart I have a class of Business with a subclass of
Division that has a subclass Section. Business is a subclass of owl:Thing

For these classes I set up both Object and Datatype Properties:

The Object Properties are hasDivision and isPartOfBusiness, hasSection
and is PartOfDivision.  Essentially a parent child relationship. This
looks like these are getting inherited in the Properties View.

I also setup Datatype Properties for each class for their names
businessName, divisionName, sectionName thinking that they would be
inherited based on the class structure. It looks like these Datatype
Properties are inherited when I look at the properties view of the classes.

But when I go create an instance of Business and give it a businessName
- why doesn't the value of the Superclasses Datatype Properties get put
into the instance of a Division - and like wise why doesn't both
businessName and sectionName come into the instance of a Section when I
link them with the above Object Properties?

John Feeney, Ph.D.
Cognitive Scientist
Aptima, Inc.
1726 M Street NW, Suite 900
Washington, DC 20036
202-842-1548 x339 (voice)
202-842-2630 (fax)
Web: http://www.aptima.com

The information transmitted is intended only for the person or entity to which it is addressed and may contain confidential and/or privileged material. Any review, retransmission, dissemination or other use of, or taking of any action in reliance upon this information by persons or entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you received this in error, please contact the sender and delete the material from any computer.