[protege-owl] Object vs. Datatype Properties

Papapanagiotou Petros std01092 at di.uoa.gr
Fri Sep 22 11:43:02 PDT 2006

I think you have confused the role of a subclass relationship with that
of an Object Property.
The Division would inherit the businessName property from the
superclass, NOT the Business instance with which it is connected with
isPartOfBusiness.

You can't expect a datatype property to be inherited by a Business
instance that is connected through an object property. It is still
possible to infer the business name of a division but it is not
automatically inherited.
Properties are inherited by subclassing. That means that, according to
your specifications, when you create a Divison instance you must also
define a businessName for it (as a property inherited by the superclass
Business).
Again, the inherited (abstract) properties of the superclass have
nothing to do with the values of the properties of the instance of
Business which is connected through the object property to the instance
of the Division.

To be honest I don't think defining the Division as a subclass of
Business is correct. Doing that means the Division is a Business with
certain properties (like a Man is a Person with certain properties).

I hope I've somehow helped to make this clear.

Papapanagiotou Petros