[protege-owl] Object vs. Datatype Properties

John Feeney jfeeney at aptima.com
Fri Sep 22 12:13:18 PDT 2006

Thank for your response.

Your explanation matches what I am seeing. So if I understood this, then
the property ( slot? ) businessName is in the subclass Division, because
of the subclass inheritance but that's it. No values get propagated once
I make a connection of instances. That makes sense now.

I am working through a number of ways to describe the organization with
an ontology. I agree the subclass structure might not be a good
representation but that's what I was given to start with. I think I can
make separate classes and connect them with Object Properties when
creating instances. I would then use the inferences to get to the
Datatype Properties - is this correct?

If you have any good resources for how I would do the inference via the
Object Properties, I would greatly appreciate it.

John Feeney

Papapanagiotou Petros wrote:
> I think you have confused the role of a subclass relationship with that
> of an Object Property.
> The Division would inherit the businessName property from the
> superclass, NOT the Business instance with which it is connected with
> isPartOfBusiness.
>
> You can't expect a datatype property to be inherited by a Business
> instance that is connected through an object property. It is still
> possible to infer the business name of a division but it is not
> automatically inherited.
> Properties are inherited by subclassing. That means that, according to
> your specifications, when you create a Divison instance you must also
> define a businessName for it (as a property inherited by the superclass
> Business).
> Again, the inherited (abstract) properties of the superclass have
> nothing to do with the values of the properties of the instance of
> Business which is connected through the object property to the instance
> of the Division.
>
> To be honest I don't think defining the Division as a subclass of
> Business is correct. Doing that means the Division is a Business with
> certain properties (like a Man is a Person with certain properties).
>
> I hope I've somehow helped to make this clear.
>
> Papapanagiotou Petros
>
> John Feeney wrote:
>
>> I've been plugging away at an ontology that includes as part of it an
>> organization chart.  The are a bunch of other things what will utilized
>> the information in the org chart for making decision in Jess.
>>
>> For a simple org chart I have a class of Business with a subclass of
>> Division that has a subclass Section. Business is a subclass of owl:Thing
>>
>> For these classes I set up both Object and Datatype Properties:
>>
>> The Object Properties are hasDivision and isPartOfBusiness, hasSection
>> and is PartOfDivision.  Essentially a parent child relationship. This
>> looks like these are getting inherited in the Properties View.
>>
>> I also setup Datatype Properties for each class for their names
>> businessName, divisionName, sectionName thinking that they would be
>> inherited based on the class structure. It looks like these Datatype
>> Properties are inherited when I look at the properties view of the classes.
>>
>> But when I go create an instance of Business and give it a businessName
>> - why doesn't the value of the Superclasses Datatype Properties get put
>> into the instance of a Division - and like wise why doesn't both
>> businessName and sectionName come into the instance of a Section when I
>> link them with the above Object Properties?

John Feeney, Ph.D.
Cognitive Scientist
Aptima, Inc.
1726 M Street NW, Suite 900
Washington, DC 20036
202-842-1548 x339 (voice)
202-842-2630 (fax)
Web: http://www.aptima.com

The information transmitted is intended only for the person or entity to which it is addressed and may contain confidential and/or privileged material. Any review, retransmission, dissemination or other use of, or taking of any action in reliance upon this information by persons or entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you received this in error, please contact the sender and delete the material from any computer.