[protege-owl] ask for help

Chema . at
Mon Apr 2 11:28:33 PDT 2007

Hi Imen,
Protege is an ide, as Swoop, to develop ontologies but if you want to
exploit them in a program to offer some custom services you should programme
using an api to handle ontologies.
There are several apis in this way as owl-api, Jena or protege-owl-api that
is used in protege and it has features from Jena, owl-api and other custom
implementations. All of them are used with Java.

In any case, the basic program using Jena ,at OWL level, follows the next

1-Create an OntModel, we can connect a reasoner as Pellet or Racer
2-Read ontologies inside OntModel,,null)
3-Use the Jena api to have access to defined resources (classes, instances,

Also, we can:

1- Use Arq to build and run sparql queries
2-Serialize the ontModel
3-Create new resources

However, I suggest you read and test the examples in Jena web site.

Bye, Chema.