[protege-owl] Query: Subclasses or Sibling

John Goodwin John.Goodwin at ordnancesurvey.co.uk
Tue Apr 3 03:33:35 PDT 2007

> I agree that your representations below work.
> But is there any way to do this in protégé?
> If I create an instance of pizza, I get the frames for ingredients (and
> base), but these are only suitable for specifying:
> > pizza1 hasTopping cheese1
> > pizza1 hasTopping tomato1
>
> I wouldn't know how to specify the other parts of your statements.

If you are using Protégé 3.x the only way I can think of (and the way I did it) is to create a class:

Pizza1 subClassOf Pizza

Create an instance of Pizza called pizza1

Then say:

Pizza1 = {pizza1}

(literally type "{pizza1}" in the necessary and sufficient condition block for that class - this is basically saying Pizza1 = oneOf{pizza1})

The add a necessary condition

Pizza1 subClassOf hasTopping only (Cheese or Tomato)

Admittedly it's a bit messy, but it's more a way of getting round some of the editing limitations.

In Protégé 4 alpha you can actually directly assert (under the individual tab and in the asserted types box) that

pizza1 instanceOf hasTopping only (Cheese or Tomato)

which should do the job.

John

.

This email is only intended for the person to whom it is addressed and may contain confidential information. If you have received this email in error, please notify the sender and delete this email which must not be copied, distributed or disclosed to any other person.

Unless stated otherwise, the contents of this email are personal to the writer and do not represent the official view of Ordnance Survey. Nor can any contract be formed on Ordnance Survey's behalf via email. We reserve the right to monitor emails and attachments without prior notice.

Thank you for your cooperation.

Ordnance Survey
Romsey Road
Southampton SO16 4GU