[protege-owl] Property Restrictions within once relational data

Biehlig, Florian florian.biehlig at sap.com
Tue Apr 3 05:50:54 PDT 2007

Hi everybody,

I got a question on property restrictions and I'm afraid, I'm not very
experienced in this topic. I am currently writing my diploma thesis and
time is short, so I really would appreciate any help!
I've got an ontology that uses data extracted from a relational
database. So there are some object properties that were formed out of
foreign key relations in the database.

The relevant classes are:
Employee - OrgUnit - OrgFunction - OrgFunctionAdvanced (subclass of
OrgFunction)

These are connected through object properties, let's call them:
worksInOrgUnit (connects Employee and OrgUnit)
hasOrgFunction (connects OrgUnit and OrgFunction)
hasOrgFunctionAdvanced (connects OrgFunction and OrgFunctionAdvanced)

Now, I want to create a subclass of Employee, EmpRisk. This class should
contain employees that may pose a security risk, because they are
assigned to an OrgUnit with an (advanced) OrgFunction that has a
specific value. This value is a datatype property of OrgFunctionAdvanced
that is either 0 or 1 (OrgFunctionAdvancedValue).

My first guess was just something simple like:

Employee and OrgFunctionAdvanced has "1" (1 is actually a string, but
nevermind...this is not the problem)

I also tried a longer, nested condition...

Employee and worksInOrgUnit some
(OrgUnit and hasOrgFunction some
(OrgFunction and hasOrgFunctionAdvanced some
(OrgFunctionAdvanced and OrgFunctionAdvancedValue has "1")))

I just can't manage to build a condition that matches those requirements
to enable a reasoner (Pellet) to assign the corresponding employees to
the subclass. Maybe someone here could help me (or tell me that this
isn't possible?). I just need a good use case within my data to
demonstrate the benefit of an ontology in my development... :)

Thanks a lot!
Florian