[protege-owl] Query: Subclasses or Sibling

Thomas Russ tar at ISI.EDU
Tue Apr 3 09:03:33 PDT 2007

On Apr 3, 2007, at 2:59 AM, william fitzgerald wrote:

> Method 2:
>
> I think dealing with individuals is more a rules engine thing than
> a DL
> reasoner area.

That depends on the particular DL reasoner.

Other DL languages and reasoners have had mechanisms that are quite
capable of reasoning using combinations of closed world reasoning,
limited closed world reasoning, and even cardinality restrictions
asserted directly about instances.  As an existence proof, I can
point to Loom (<http://www.isi.edu/isd/LOOM>).  Loom differs from OWL
primarily in being more expressive and not having a complete
classification reasoner.  So there are some tradeoffs in this process.

Additional reference: <http://www.isi.edu/isd/LOOM/papers/macgregor/
Loom_Retrospective.html>

-Tom.
COI Disclosure:  I am one of the Loom implementors.

--
Thomas A. Russ, Ph.D.  Senior Research Scientist             tar at isi.edu
USC/Information Sciences Institute              WWW:  http://www.isi.edu