[protege-owl] Query: Subclasses or Sibling

Matthew Horridge matthew.horridge at cs.man.ac.uk
Tue Apr 3 14:33:25 PDT 2007

> Hi James,

> protege-owl-bounces at mailman.stanford.edu wrote on 04/03/2007
> 05:48:51 AM:
>
> > > Will the ontology be still in OWL-DL?
> >

> > Yes.
> >
> > > stating a class is also an individual [Pizza1 = oneOf{pizza1}]
> I think
> > > is out of scope of DL.
> >
> > This is within the bounds of OWL-DL.
>
> So, is it the case that treating a class as an individual is OWL-DL
> (in general), or just that this particular usage is OWL-DL?  I was
> under the (perhaps mistaken) understanding that classes could not
> be treated as individuals in OWL-DL.

You are correct that in OWL-DL the set of names of classes must be
disjoint from the set of names of individuals, so we can't have
"pizza" refering to both a class and an individual.

However, unless I've misunderstood the above syntax, this doesn't
state that a class is an individual.  The statement says that the
class Pizza1 is equivalent to the class containing exactly the
individual pizza1 (i.e. a nominal).  So, the above statement is an
OWL-DL axiom

Cheers,

Matthew