[protege-owl] Please explain ont-policy.rdf

Timothy Redmond tredmond at stanford.edu
Tue Apr 3 16:23:39 PDT 2007

I don't know exactly what you are doing so it is hard to tell what
happened.  First did you set protege.dir and from what directory did you
start the applications?   For a regular protege startup (you can get
around this), either the application needs to be started in an
installation directory for Protege or you need to add a vm option:

    -Dprotege.dir=installation directory for protege.

I did find references to ont-policy.rdf in protege-owl.  It is used by
the RefactorAcrossFiles action.  Is your application doing some sort of
owl refactor operation when it gets the error?  Depending on the cause
of the error you may be able to set  the system property

        edu.stanford.smi.protegex.owl.jena.loader.JenaLoader.ontPolicy

as follows to specify an alternative location for the ontPolicy file:

-Dedu.stanford.smi.protegex.owl.jena.loader.JenaLoader.ontPolicy=path to
ont-policy.rdf

Jena also uses ont-policy.rdf internally and I don't know much about
what it is doing with that.

-Timothy