[protege-owl] rdf:about vs. rdf:ID

Daniel Schober schober at ebi.ac.uk
Wed Apr 4 09:08:21 PDT 2007

There is a nice explanation of the difference between the two at:
http://esw.w3.org/mt/esw/archives/000034.html

_see also:_ previous emails on this list (below)

Cheers,
         Daniel Schober.

---

The main different is the "#"

You will have rdf:ID="A", rdf:about="#A"

Back in ye olde days before Protégé was invented I occasionally wrote
DAML+OIL (what OWL evolved from) ontologies in notepad and when I
created a new class, property or individual I used rdf:ID. If I wanted
to say something else about a previous created class in an axiom I would
use rdf:about.

I don't think it really matters though, for example SWOOP seems to only
use rdf:about. Probably not good for your sanity to worry too much about
the raw OWL rdf/xml code.

John

William Bug wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> Can someone tell me why for some of the named classes I create in
> Protege-OWL, the name is assigned as an rdf:ID and other times it is
> assigned as an rdf:about property - e.g.,
>
> <owl:Class rdf:ID="myFirstOnto_Class_1">
> </owl:Class>
>
> <owl:Class rdf:about="#myFirstOnto_Class_1">
> </owl:Class>
>
> My understanding from the RDF spec is that rdf:ID is for reification,
> where as the it's the rdf:about property that has primacy when
> defining an URI for a any resource in RDF.  In other words, it would
> be the about property that gets referenced in a URI - e.g.:
> <owl:Class rdf:about="#mySecondOnto_Class_1 ">
> <rdfs:subClassOf
> rdf:resource="http://www.mywebsite.org/onotologies/mynewonto#myFirstOnto_Class_1"/>
> </owl:Class>
>
> It appears when I create a new ontology file in Protege-OWL, all the
> classes I create get their resource name assigned as an rdf:ID
> property.  This is true whether I use the 'new class' button or the
> 'clone' function.
>
> When I look at a variety of public ontologies, I see a mix of both
> rdf:ID and rdf:about used both to name a class as well as to reference
> classes.  For instance, the latest OBO Relation ontology uses
> rdf:about exclusively (ro.owl), whereas an older version uses rdf:ID
> (I assume that means the latter was created using Protege-OWL, whereas
> the former was not). BFO and PATO (quality.owl) use rdf:about
> exclusively, where as the current release of the OBI ontology has a
> mix when naming classes or referencing super classes (owl:subClassOf)
> - as do the several ontologies I've been working on for the BIRN
> project (BIRNLex).
>
> Is it possible Protege-OWL former used rdf:about and now uses rdf:ID?
>
> Are these two truly interchangeable?
>
> I'm sure I'm missing something here?
>
> Cheers,
> Bill
>

> Bill Bug
> Senior Research Analyst/Ontological Engineer
>
> Laboratory for Bioimaging  & Anatomical Informatics
> www.neuroterrain.org
> Department of Neurobiology & Anatomy
> Drexel University College of Medicine
> 2900 Queen Lane
> Philadelphia, PA    19129
> 215 991 8430 (ph)
> 610 457 0443 (mobile)
> 215 843 9367 (fax)
>

> Please Note: I now have a new email - William.Bug at DrexelMed.edu
> <mailto:William.Bug at DrexelMed.edu>

Dr. Daniel Schober

NET Project - Ontologist

The European Bioinformatics Institute   email:  schober at ebi.ac.uk
EMBL Outstation - Hinxton               direct: +44 (0)1223 494410
Wellcome Trust Genome Campus            fax: +44 (0)1223 494 468
Cambridge CB10 1SD, UK                 	Room: A2-37

Project page: www.ebi.ac.uk/net-project

Personal page:    http://www.ebi.ac.uk/Information/Staff/person_maint.php?s_person_id=734
Former home page: http://www.bioinf.mdc-berlin.de/%7Eschober/