[protege-owl] UML to OWL transformation / UML-based ontology modelling

Sebastian Leinhos sebastian at ooyoo.de
Tue Apr 10 00:59:02 PDT 2007

Hello,

for my master thesis I developed two XSLT scripts which both transform
UML class diagrams into valid OWL DL documents. They can be found with a
(still quite short) documentation on

http://diplom.ooyoo.de

The first script thereby maintains every modelled data of the existing
UML class diagram (no adjustments, no changes, no enrichments are
neccessary to transform the class diagram into an OWL document).
Transformations can be made in minutes. The goal was to keep every
modelled data (or information / or knowledge if you want), so that the
generated OWL ontology can be used for example as a common basis for
application integration.

The second script is for UML-based ontology modelling. Therefore, some
UML elements got new semantics and a UML profile was defined. If you are
interested in this, please feel free to contact me. The script is
available at the website mentioned above, but tranformations rules and
the semantics of the UML elements are still only available in german
language. I will translate them, if there is any interest. I do know,
that the approach of Mr. Dragan Gasevic (MDA-based ontology modelling)
is more promising, but my approach is an easy way to develop small and
mid-size ontologies with the help of UML. Most UML elements thereby kept
their semantics (UML classes are OWL classes, UML associations are OWL
ObjectProperties and so on...)

Please feel free to contact me. I would love to help and to see that my
work is usefull for at least someone ;-). Well, the first script was
already successfully used in the institute of information management at
the University of the Federal Armed Forces of Germany in Munich.

Sincerly Yours,
Sebastian Leinhos

http://diplom.ooyoo.de
sebastian at ooyoo.de