[protege-owl] How to assign NULL (un-assigne an instance) in SWRL rule?

shahab pishava at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 12 00:17:21 PDT 2007

Dear Martin,

Thanks for the tips. You mentioned that "Also, there is no null in OWL: an individual either has a particular property with a value or it does not". Does this mean that I have to chnage the property value to another value in order to show unassigining. How about introducing a NULL instance for each class and use it as NULL assignment?

Another question : Is it possible to have  logical "not" in SWRL rule. For example, I want ro say  :
not(hasCurrentState(Queue_Inst, Queue_Contains))→
hasCurrentState(Queue_Inst,  NULL??? ),

SWRL has not but I couldn't use (show) it in SWRL Editor, since the Editor doesn't have such operator.

As I understand it is not possible to show the dynamic behavior of an Individual.
For example Joining and Leaving to a Queue?

regards,
Shahab
Martin O'Connor <martin.oconnor at stanford.edu> wrote:
SWRL (or OWL) do not support retraction at the language level. An
OWL+SWRL ontology is a logical model and if SWRL statements in that
model cause assertions to be made that contradict previous assertions
then the model in inconsistent.

Also, there is no null in OWL: an individual either has a particular
property with a value or it does not - there is no empty value.

Martin