[protege-owl] com.hp.hpl.jena.rdf.arp.ARP.getHandlers()

Timothy Redmond tredmond at stanford.edu
Sun Apr 15 11:10:10 PDT 2007

> When I overcomed plugins trouble, the program alert "It needs
> test.repository file". So i use protege 3.2.1 to create
> test.repository file. However, I realized that the file test.owl
> changed when i create repository by using the part of importing
> ontology in metadata tab. Test.owl file changed from 586 kb to 395 kb.
>
> So i wonder is the content of the new test.owl file different from
> the old test.owl file ? May I use it in the project or reuse the
> old test.owl file in project ?

Different owl tools will write an owl file in different ways.  So the
fact  that the size has changed does not necessarily mean that the
file is different.  If you are really worried and cannot tell by
inspection (inside Protege) then the PROMPT plugin may be useful.

> And I still have had an error:
>
> INFO: Loading triples
> Exception in thread "AWT-EventQueue-0" java.lang.NoSuchMethodError:
> com.hp.hpl.jena.rdf.arp.ARP.getHandlers()Lcom/hp/hpl/jena/rdf/arp/
> ARPHandlers;
>         at
> edu.stanford.smi.protegex.owl.jena.parser.ProtegeOWLParser.createARP (
> Unknown Source)
>         at
> edu.stanford.smi.protegex.owl.jena.parser.ProtegeOWLParser.loadTriples
> (Unknown Source)
>         at
> edu.stanford.smi.protegex.owl.jena.parser.ProtegeOWLParser.run
> (Unknown Source)
>         at
> edu.stanford.smi.protegex.owl.jena.parser.ProtegeOWLParser.run
> (Unknown Source)
>         at
> edu.stanford.smi.protegex.owl.jena.parser.ProtegeOWLParser.run
> (Unknown Source)
>         at edu.stanford.smi.protegex.owl.jena.JenaOWLModel.load
> (Unknown Source)
>         at
> edu.stanford.smi.protegex.owl.ProtegeOWL.createJenaOWLModelFromURI
> (Unknown Source)
>         at ontology.OntologyFilter.<init>(OntologyFilter.java:54)
>         at semanticweb.Web$1.run (Web.java:51)
>         at java.awt.event.InvocationEvent.dispatch
> (InvocationEvent.java:209)
>         at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEvent(EventQueue.java:461)
>         at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEventForHierarchy
> (EventDispatchThread.java:242)
>         at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForHierarchy
> (EventDispatchThread.java:163)
>         at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents
> (EventDispatchThread.java:157)
>         at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents
> (EventDispatchThread.java:149)
>         at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.run
> (EventDispatchThread.java:110)
>
> I checked the source string - URI - pointing test.owl file with
> pattern  " file:///D:/SemanticWeb/lib/test.owl", but the program
> didn't know about the resource. So it made the above error.
>
> Have you had any ideas about this problem ?

This error means that your jar files are out of sync somehow.  At
runtime, Protege OWL is seeing the jena ARP class but this class
doesn't have the methods that Protege OWL saw when it was compiled.
So I suspect that you have a version of jena.jar (or perhaps protege-
owl.jar) that is inconsistent.  Perhaps there is more than one
jena.jar found by the classloader?