[protege-owl] How to use ontologies from programs?

Timothy Redmond tredmond at stanford.edu
Tue Apr 17 10:46:28 PDT 2007

I am not sure if you are asking if there are tools available or a
deeper question about best practices.  The first question I can
answer - there are many tools available.  There are several
programatic apis for manipulating ontologies including the Protege
OWL API (protege.stanford.edu/doc/dev.html), the OWL API
(sourceforge.net/projects/owlapi), jena (jena.sourceforge.net) and
many many others.  These tools include the ability to add facts and
instances to the ontology, the ability to annotate classes and
instances with their author or source and query capabilities.  I
don't know if you can annotate axioms in OWL DL but I know that this
is a feature that people have wanted.

In addition there are several inference engines around including
pellet (pellet.owldl.com), FaCT++ (http://owl.man.ac.uk/
factplusplus), and racer.  These tools come with powerful correctness
and soundness guarantees.

As to the deeper question of how you can best use these tools to
achieve your needs maybe others can give useful answers.  I did do
some work on the KAoS system (http://www.coginsts.uwf.edu:16080/
research/projects/KAoS) once which involved updating OWL knowledge
bases, queries and inference.  But I am not sure what to tell you
about this work.

-Timothy