[protege-owl] OWL individuals

Timothy Redmond tredmond at stanford.edu
Thu Apr 19 11:19:39 PDT 2007

Herein is the big advantage of writing OWL with an editor rather than
mucking with the rdf syntax directly.

When you went to the validator, there was one anomaly that you did not
notice.  Yes, it did validate the ontology as owl lite but notice the
name of the individual in the abstract  syntax representation that it
displayed:

 Class(a:cars partial)

 Individual(_
  type(a:cars))

The name that you wanted for the individual has been lost.  Replace the
rdf:resource with rdf:ID and you get something much better:

 Class(a:cars partial)

 Individual(<http://www.owl-ontologies.com/Cars.owl#http://www.mysite.org/cars/index.php?parameter1=value1&parameter2=value2>
  type(a:cars))

Going back to the definitions of rdf
(http://www.w3.org/TR/rdf-syntax-grammar/) we see that you are not using
rdf:resource correctly.  So their first example shows

    <rdf:Description ex:fullName="Dave Beckett">
      <ex:homePage rdf:resource="http://purl.org/net/dajobe/"/>
    </rdf:Description>

In this fragment the ex:homePage is the property  and the resource is
indicating the id of a value for this property.  So the triple
represented by this fragment has the form

   < Subject = Description resource whose full name is "Dave Beckett"
      Predicate = "ex:homePage"
      Object = Resource with id "http://purl.org/net/dajobe/" >

So the validator ignored the rdf:resource statement as meaningless but
Protege (probably because it used Jena) warned you about this.

-Timothy