[protege-owl] Question in restriction of individuals

Timothy Redmond tredmond at stanford.edu
Thu Apr 19 11:37:01 PDT 2007

You may have to send the ontology because I am not sure what you meant
by saying "something is a union of the above classes".  Surely this is
easy (but it doesn't seem like what you want to do).  In Protege just

  - In the "OWL Classes" panel click on the class (say Rule) that you
want to be the union.
  - click on the icon to the far left (the one with the little union symbol)
  - make the union as "Consequent or Antecedent or ConsequentType or
AntecedentType"

This will not give FaCT any trouble.  You will have asserted that

     Rule \subseteq union of Consequent and Antecedent and
ConsequentType and AntecedentType.

But this is almost certainly not what you wanted.  A Consequent is not a
rule.  It seems like you want to add properties

   hasConsequent and hasAntecedent

from Rules to Consequents and Antecedents respectively.  Then you can
say things like a rule has at least one Consequent if you want.  And
you  could add information such as

   <r1 hasConsequent con1>
   <r1 hasAntecedent ant1>
   <r1  hasAntecedent ant2>.