[protege-owl] OWL individuals

Alan March amarch at conceptum.com.ar
Sat Apr 21 10:02:42 PDT 2007

Hi.

Sometime ago I posted a message inquiring as to the intended use of multiple
Necessary and Sufficient blocks. I did receive some answers, but they were
mostly examples, and did not quite answer my question.

So again, when should multiple N&S blocks be used? As far as I have
reasoned, they should be used when different groups of axioms, each of them
by themselves or together, allow for a complete definition of a class.
Horridge et al's Owl Tutorial carries an example of *how* to establish
multiple N&S blocks, but, at least to the best of my undestanding, not
*when* to use them. As far as I can gather, it would seem that they must be
used in the manner I explained above. Thus, an individual may be considered
a member of the "triangle" class when it *either* "has three angles and is a
subclass of shape" **or** "has three sides and is a subclass of shape", or
*both*. When I emphasize "both", I mean to say that if such individual
fullfilled both N&S blocks, it would also be a member of the triangle class.
So, my conclusion is that multiple N&S blocks would seem to boil down to a
sort of "and/or" situation, where a class may be defined as such if it
carries either block or both blocks. Am I right in this assumption?