[protege-owl] java on protege

Timothy Redmond tredmond at stanford.edu
Mon Apr 23 07:39:08 PDT 2007

> Hi All,  which is the java version with which  protege 3.2.1 (build
> 365) was compiled? I am currently developing a plug in for protege,

Java 1.5.

> I was using java 1.5, and it works on my windows computer, but as
> soon as I try it on my mac it does not recognizes the java version.

First of all, the mac must be running Tiger (OS x version 10.4) or
better.  Once this is true you need to ensure that the Mac has Java
1.5 installed   To check the version, open a command line window and
type "/usr/bin/java -version".  There are three possibilities:

1. you get something like "command not found".  Actually I am not
sure if this is possible but if it happens it means that you need to
install Java 1.5.

2. It will report an earlier version of Java.  In this case you need
to install and/or configure the computer to use Java 1.5.  You can
find infomration about getting Java 1.5 on the apple site (http://
developer.apple.com/java/).

3. It will report Java version 1.5 in which case you are using the
right version of Java.

> In other words it works fine on windows, but not on mac computers.
> Any hints on this? cheers.

It does work fine on a Mac.  I use the Mac as my main development
machine.

> PS there is no java 1.6 for protege, is there?

We don't support Java 1.6 yet because - unless you pay up to be an
apple developer - there is no Java 1.6 for os x.  I have already
heard some reports that Protege doesn't work properly with Java
1.6.   We will move to Java 1.6 sometime after the apple makes java
1.6 available for os x.